Effective January 1, 2009 NIOSH-Approved Spirometry course certificates are no longer valid indefinitely. Certificates of successful completion of a NIOSH-approved spirometry course remain active for 5 years from the course date. Certificates can be extended in 5 year increments by completing a NIOSH Approved Spirometry Refresher course before the current certificate expires. NIOSH also instituted a 7 month grace period to give technicians ample time to renew their NIOSH course certificates. For example, if a current course certificate was dated April 1, 2008, the technician would have up to 5 years and 7 months to complete a NIOSH-Approved Spirometry Refresher Course, i.e., until November 1, 2013.
This one-day course is designed for those students who have current “Certificate of Completion” of NIOSH-Approved Spirometry Initial or Refresher Course.
To register for the Refresher Course, students must provide a copy of their most recent NIOSH-Approved Spirometry Course certificate to establish eligibility for the Refresher course
- Review of the 2005 ATS/ERS testing standards and guidelines,
- Review of testing contraindications and procedures,
- Review of technical procedures and instrumentation requirements including calibration check procedures, sources of error, and their correction for both volume displacement and flow measuring spirometers,
- Review of the effective use of volume-time and flow-volume displays,
- Review of common spirometry testing errors and applicable corrective actions,
- Review recommended procedures for proper infection control,
- Differentiation of lung function patterns (normal, obstructive, restrictive, and mixed disease) using test results and the spirograms
NIOSH recommends that each student submit a sample of graphs to be critiqued for technical quality prior to the course.
Course dates and location:
Course Fee — $325
NOTE: The courses below are held in association with Workplace INTEGRA and are held in Greensboro, NC. Registration will take place on the Workplace INTEGRA Web site.
2018 Course Schedule
- March 18
- May 3
- August 9
- September 27
- November 8
Need help registering for courses held at Workplace Integra?