Effective January 1, 2009 NIOSH-Approved Spirometry course certificates are no longer valid indefinitely. Certificates of successful completion of a NIOSH-approved spirometry course remain active for 5 years from the course date. Certificates can be extended in 5 year increments by completing a NIOSH Approved Spirometry Refresher course before the current certificate expires. NIOSH also instituted a 7 month grace period to give technicians ample time to renew their NIOSH course certificates. For example, if a current course certificate was dated April 1, 2008, the technician would have up to 5 years and 7 months to complete a NIOSH-Approved Spirometry Refresher Course, i.e., until November 1, 2013.
This one-day course is designed for those students who have current “Certificate of Completion” of NIOSH-Approved Spirometry Initial or Refresher Course.
To register for the Refresher Course, students must provide a copy of their most recent NIOSH-Approved Spirometry Course certificate to establish eligibility for the Refresher course
- Review of the 2005 ATS/ERS testing standards and guidelines,
- Review of testing contraindications and procedures,
- Review of technical procedures and instrumentation requirements including calibration check procedures, sources of error, and their correction for both volume displacement and flow measuring spirometers,
- Review of the effective use of volume-time and flow-volume displays,
- Review of common spirometry testing errors and applicable corrective actions,
- Review recommended procedures for proper infection control,
- Differentiation of lung function patterns (normal, obstructive, restrictive, and mixed disease) using test results and the spirograms
NIOSH recommends that each student submit a sample of graphs to be critiqued for technical quality prior to the course.
NOTE: The courses below are held in association with Workplace INTEGRA and are held in Greensboro, NC. Registration will take place on the Workplace INTEGRA Web site.
Course Fee — $325
2017 Course Schedule (for courses held in Greensboro, NC)
- January 19 — REGISTER
- March 16 — REGISTER
- May 4— REGISTER
- July 20— REGISTER
- September 14— REGISTER
- November 2— REGISTER
Need help registering for courses held at Workplace Integra?
NOTE: The courses below are held in association with Greenville Technical College and are held in Greenville, SC. Registration for these courses will take place on the Greenville Technical College Web site.
Course Fee — $309
2017 Course Schedule (for courses held in Greenville, SC)
Need help with registration for courses at Greenville Tech?
- Call: (864) 250-8800
- Or email: email@example.com